The process of preparing your outdoor pond for the Connecticut Winter season, actually starts in the Fall. One of the first steps you should take is altering the diet of your fish and other aquatic inhabitants by converting to cold water fish food. It is important to have a thermometer installed, so that you will be alerted to a temperature drop below 65 degrees, which is the point when you should change their diet. It is recommended that once temperatures fall below 50 degrees, you should desist feeding your fish.
The custom pond and water feature design and installation technicians at Normal Aquatics provide pond maintenance services to many clients throughout the Hartford, New Haven, and Fairfield County area and beyond. We have complied a list of tips that can assist you in maintaining a healthy pond throughout the winter season.
- Lower the amount of leaves and debris accumulating in your pond by utilizing netting.
- Clean out all of the leaves and debris the pond as mentioned previously.
- Prune dead or wintering aquatic plant foliage as the fall season continues
- Feed your fish a wheat-germ-based pond nutriment, that is contrived specifically for a colder temperature diet
- Disengage the pump, filter and other equipment, otherwise it will become damaged once the water temperature has reached a freezing level
- Store equipment indoors for the winter season
- Install a pond de-icer, which will melt a miniscule opening on the exterior, allowing noxious gasses to be released.
Normal Aquatics provides Connecticut Pond Maintenance and Winterization services to the following and surrounding towns of; Bethel, Brookfield, Cos Cob, Darien, Easton, Fairfield, Greenwich, Monroe, New Canaan, Newtown, Norwalk, Redding, Ridgefield, Southport, Stamford, Weston, Westport, Wilton, Hartford, New London, Torrington, Middletown, New Haven, West Hartford, Madison, and beyond!
If you do not have the time or energy to provide proper winter maintenance to your pond, why not leave it to the professionals at Normal Aquatics. The Normal Aquatics pond maintenance team is highly trained in performing all necessary tasks involved in properly maintaining a pond. Normal Aquatics can create a program that fits anyone’s Pond Service requirements and budget. We can service and maintain your pond twice weekly, weekly, bi- weekly, or monthly. You can contact us directly at (203) 292-5922 for a free consultation and estimate!